Friday, February 03, 2006

Bosun and Putty

Those are my words of the week. I have been doing Deccan Herald Crosswords these days religiously, for almost two months now. I do it on all weekdays,Monday to Friday.I am so passionate about it and there is this urge to complete the crossword everyday. It has proven to be a good exercise. I do the Easy Crossword, not the Cryptic one. This habit started due to my English teacher, and Thanks to her. As a part of the Fluency course, she insisted that we do this everyday, an exercise to improve the vocabulary.Apart from words, we get to know many things like places,animals,plants,rivers,wine varieties,army ranks, etc...

This week came across this clue:Petty Officer(5). Initially considered them as two seperate words:Petty and Officer. So was thinking on the lines of an officer who's petty. Was breaking my head and couldnt get an answer. Then found out that I need to consider the words together:'Petty Officer' is a rank in the navy. Went through the navy insignia of U.S,U.K,NATO and what not and still no answer to the clue. Finally, took the crude way of solving.Going through the dictionary for five letter words with second letter as O, 4th and 5th as U and N respectively and got BOSUN. Almost an hour's fight for this word.

Yesterday, it was the same with PUTTY.The clue was Stiff Paste(5). I had got the first two letters as P and U.And the fourth letter was initially wrong for me. Got it as 'I', while it should have been a 'T'.So after much of brain racking and back tracking, got the answer changed for the word that was causing the 'I' to be there where it should have been a 'T' and finally, got you PUTTY.The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear PUTTY is the utility software which we are so familiar of. Now I know what PUTTY can also mean.I almost gave up on this yesterday, but somehow pulled it off. Now you all know how much hardwork I do at the office!

Anyway,if you havent noticed it yet, I started compiling the words I learn from everyday's crossword and am updating my word blog everyday. This, I have started from Feb 1. I am planning to do it on all weekdays as long as I solve the Deccan crossword and as long as I have enthu to post the words on the blog. As with everything else,things start off well, slowly the enthu goes down and completely disappears one day. Lets see how long this goes on. There might be some common words in the daily list as well, like USHER for example, from yesterday. I know what the word means, but when I was solving the crossword,the word didnt strike my mind when I saw the clue:Guide (5), and I knew that the second letter of the answer was 'S'. So I am compiling those words as well, I mean the words which are so common but dont strike your mind when it matters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home