Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Book[Tagg]ed - I

Ok, This is the first of the tag posts. I was tagged on June 19 by Woodworm,these are my replies.Very late response, I know. Just was too lazy to write on it.

Anyways,Here we go:

Total Books I own:
If that meant non-academic books:Hmm. Very less. Say,less than 20. Even if it meant academic books, the answer remains the same.I used to take novels from Woodworm,his library was freely accessible to me and I miss it. I buy books very rarely.

Last books I bought:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin S.Sharma

Last book I read:
The Monk who sold his Ferrari

Currently reading:
Nothing. I have borrowed three books from my friends though:
Disgrace by JM Coetzee,
A Gateway to India by E.M.Forster
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Though started a bit on Disgrace,havnet continued it.The goal for me now is to finish these three next before buying or borrowing further.

Books that have had an impact on me:
1. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Amazing book.If I have to create too much of hype out here I would say this: I would rate this book to be my bible.The greatest thing about this book is its simplicity.Its very very simple and very very powerful.Kind of book that can change your life for better, forever. Ok,coming out of the hype thing,I loved the simple story of this spanish boy,Santiago,his dream and how he realises it.If you compare this book with The Monk who sold his Ferrari, you would clearly see the difference between the two.The goal of both the books is kind of same, but I found The Alchemist better because, it was not too preachy, didnt bother you with any principles or mantras. Agreed, its a fable,but the message was conveyed better.Loved it

2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Definitely would go down as one of the favourite books for many who would have read it.The story was told in such a way that I couldnt figure out truth from fiction. Dan Brown does a lot of research before writing on a subject and also wants to be in the centre of controversies, I believe.What other impact did it have on me!? Yeah, I searched the web whether Jesus Christ indeed had a wife and a child or not, it also made me buy Angels and Demons and made me read Deception Point. Digital Fortress, I havent read it, I was adviced not to!

3.The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
I was told that the book would be damn depressing. Yes, it was, indeed.But I liked this one a lot.Leaves you with a heavy heart and makes you feel sad.Because I was able to identify myself with the central character many times that I liked it, I dont know, may be yes.

Apart from these three, yeah add these as well. I have reviewed these books already on the blog, so am not going too much into them

4. The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

5. Good Earth - Pearl S Buck

6. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

7. Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
Good collection of short stories. Liked all of them except the one on that house.

Books that did not have any impact on me:
1. Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
Guess I read it just for Namesake. Again was reviewed already in the blog.So skipping details.

2. Moor's Last Sigh - Salman Rushdie
I dont know,somebody explain me what is good about this novel, I found it very very boring.I was not able to appreciate it much.There are books like say, The God of Small Things, which I wont say was a great book, but atleast I didnt feel boring reading it. I was able to appreciate Ms.Roy's book if I see it from a child's point of view. But how much ever I look into Moor's Last Sigh, it doesnt make much sense to me.

Now, I have made this post as Part 1 of the series. I guess I would write a post like this every year once or if I am enthued enough at regular intervals and give my views on the books I have read in that period.

And I am not tagging anyone specifically in this post.Anyone whos reading this post, if they wish to write on the same lines, do write about the books you have read and what you liked,what you didnt like and leave me a note. I would read you.

Cb, your tag post next.Looks like Freeingmind has also tagged me on High Fives. So would write for you two and all those who might/have tagged me on High Fives

PS: Madam, if you reading this post, is it from The Alchemist that you got Maktub? I thought of you when I came across the word :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home