Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The voice of a stranger

braggadocio \brag-uh-DOH-see-oh; -shee-oh; -shoh\, noun:
1. A braggart.
2. Empty boasting.
3. A swaggering, cocky manner.

Reference

22:30
The clothes I have soaked for washing on Friday night are still there. The bucket is almost full. Its Monday and I have not even cared to wash them. Thanks to the rain, even if I had hung them up for drying, they would not have dried.. I finally decide, I should wash them. 48 hours in the bucket and my clothes wanted to be free from bondage. I start picking them up one by one and releasing them from the water jail

22:43
My cell phone starts ringing. I leave my clothes in the bathroom and see how it is that is calling me this time. Hmm. Exactly the kind of person who would be calling me at this time of the night. Cant blame her as well. She is used to this type of work hours. Poor girl. Sometimes she goes to work at 9 AM and doesnt return home till 11 PM. Our conversations have always been after 10 PM these days. I pick up the phone and after the usual Hi's, How are you doing?, she says this to me.

"Now, close your eyes. Imagine X is in front of you"

This X is another friend of mine and this silly girl thinks I am in love with her.
I ask her,
"Why are you asking me to do this?".
"Do you remember the K.R.Vijaya song?".
"Yeah, Unnai Kaanaadha Kannum Kannalla. I do remember it vaguely, I guess. Long time since I have sung that song.".
"Can you sing it for me now?. I forgot the second stanza.".
"Not sure if I remember it completely, but I would make a try".
"Wait. Start it once I ask you to do so".
"Ok, as you say so"

Now, she is one of the two girls who ask to me sing and she likes this song very much in particular.It was a beauty from Kannadasan. Nothing like hearing P.Suseela back it up with her golden voice.

"Now, you can start".

"Unnai Kaanaadha Kannum Kannalla
Unnai Ennaadha Nenjum Nenjalla
Nee Sollaadha Sollum Sollalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla

Ingu Nee Oru Paadhi, Naan Oru Paadhi
Idhil Yaar Pirindhaalum Vedanai Paadhi
Ingu Nee Oru Paadhi, Naan Oru Paadhi
Idhil Yaar Pirindhaalum Vedanai Paadhi
Kaalangal Maarum Kaatchigal Maarum
Kaadhalin Munne Neeyum Naanum Veralla

Unnai Kaanaadha Kannum Kannalla
Unnai Ennaadha Nenjum Nenjalla
Nee Sollaadha Sollum Sollalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla"

"Hey, actually there are three stanzas to the song"
"But you always used to sing only two of them to me!"
"Yeah, i found out this extra one. Let me sing that"

"Yen Meniyil Unnai Pillayai Poley
Naan Vaari Anaippen Aasaiyinaaley"

"Uhhh, i forgot the rest of the stanza!"
"Hmm, its OK"
"Anyway, let me complete the last stanza for you"

"Oru Deivam Illaamal Kovilum Illai
Oru Kovililaamal Deepamum Illai
Oru Deivam Illaamal Kovilum Illai
Oru Kovililaamal Deepamum Illai
Nee Endhan Kovil, Naan Andha Deepam
Deivathin Munne Neeyum Naanum Veralla

Unnai Kaanaadha Kannum Kannalla
Unnai Ennaadha Nenjum Nenjalla
Nee Sollaadha Sollum Sollalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla"

This is where I like Kannadasan a lot. Poetry, of course, is for you to interpret the way you like to. And this is how I interpret it. The previous stanza ended like:Kaadhalin Munne Neeyum Naanum Veralla. And the next stanza ended like:Deivathin Munne Neeyum Naanum Veralla. Thats Kannadasan's way of saying pure love you have for someone is the God.We dont need any other God on the earth. Not that am getting senti, but thats how I interpret it.And who else can sing it better than P.Suseela. Man, what a voice she had. The best! Anyway, back to the conversation.

"Hey that was damn good. You sang really superb. Your voice was great. I have someone here with me. I had put the phone on speaker and we were both listening to you singing. He wants to talk to you as well. Here, speak to him.He is a malayalee and doesnt know Tamil.So talk in English"

Wow! So i was singing to a stranger as well.That was a bit of surprise for me.

"Hai"
"Hai"
"You sang very well. Your voice is too good"
"Thanks. So did you understand a word of what I sang?"
"No, but music doesnt have any language!"
"Philosophy, huh?"
"No, yaar. Your voice is real good. Why dont you go and compete with SP?"
"SP?"
"SPB, SP Balasubramaniam"

Now, I was overwhelmed. This was going little too much. I dont know till now, whether he trully meant what he said or was it because my friend was besides him?

"Anyway, take care, good night.bye"
"Bye? I thought i was not done with my friend!"

Then my friend picked it up and she started praising me. I told her that I knew that my voice was good at a microphone and this was something I knew. Seems like they were coming in the bus back home and while they were talking, the conversation went into the topic of music and she liked this song and started singing it. Forgot the last stanza and thought would call me up and make me sing. The conversation went on and we hung up and I went back to my clothes.

23:04
I call her again. She has just entered her house.

"Hey, know what? I just remembered the stanza which I had forgotten. And I want to sing it for you"
"Yeah, go ahead"
"Whats happening? I hear a lot of disturbance around. You have switched on the TV?
"No, not me. Its the neighbours."
"So loud that even I can hear it here over the phone! Anyway, here it is:

"Yen Meniyil Unnai Pillayai Poley
Naan Vaari Anaippen Aasaiyinaaley
Nee Tharuvaayo Naan Tharuveno
Yaar Thandha Podhum Neeyum Naanum Veralla"

"I didnt hear the last two lines properly. Could you repeat them?"
"Nee Tharuvaayo Naan Tharuveno
Yaar Thandha Podhum Neeyum Naanum Veralla

Unnai Kaanaadha Kannum Kannalla
Unnai Ennaadha Nenjum Nenjalla
Nee Sollaadha Sollum Sollalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla
Nee Ilaamal Naanum Naanalla"

Great song. One of my favourites of P.Suseela. Even SPB whom the guy asked me to compete with, I have heard him once say like:"Lot of people say Suseela mam is the Lata Mangeskhar of South India. I beg to defer. For me Suseela mam is the best singer I have ever sung with. Lataji should called as P.Suseela of North India". Now, I dont know whether he meant it or not, or he said it for the heck of saying it, but for me she is the best along with Asha Bhonsle.

"So whom did you think of while singing that you were feeling so much when you were singing this song?"
"There is no one like that. Anyway, its late. You wouldnt have had dinner. Eat and sleep"
"I dont know. I am tired. I might sleep without dinner as well!"
"Whatever! Take care and good night"
"Good night"

This was a good experience. Getting praised from a friend's colleague and my friend planned it as a surprise for me as well, Felt good. Thank you sweetheart for making me sing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home