Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Five Point Someone

Good book.Especially, if your college life had been as messy as that of Hari,Alok and Ryan, you may enjoy it more while trying to relate their experiences to that of your own.You may scold and curse yourself for screwing up what is arguably the best four or five years of your life.Its all about how you react to the newly acquired freedom in the college.Alok says this:(Beautiful lines,I may not exactly reproduce, but its somthing like this): "I have been the topper all throughout my entire school life. I have not seen anything other than first rank in my school. What has happened to me here in college?". Well, a good question.You are living in this protective environment with your parents to support, take care, constantly remind you of your life's goals, correct you and bring you back to the track if you digress from your goals,while you are at your school. You come out of that secure life and you are put in a college, where you have absolute freedom to choose and do anything you wish to. You can do things which your parents have always warned you about, you can do things which you have always fancied about in your school and in the process of doing that do you take care that college life is not affected?

Well, if you think about it, its all about getting mature. There are people who handle this situation better.They know exactly what they want out of their life and nothing, not even this newly acquired freedom would deter them from attaining what they wish.They work constantly towards their goals and be successful in their life. And there are people who make a complete mess out of it,they either dont know what they want out of life or they get carried away from the newly acquired freedom and put themselves in a tough situation. In my opinion, there are more people in the second category than the first. Life does takes a long time in teaching few people their best lessons. 'Five Point Someone' is about three IITians of this type,whose mediocre grades come across everything in their life and how it ruins their friendship, health,love,trust etc. Nice book to read.Go grab it.

I have a question to the readers of this post: Where do you get information about the latest best sellers among the books?. I never came across this title until a week back and when I said that I am reading this book, people just seem to know the existence of this book.("Aah, that one,how do you find it?"."Hey,it was published way back in 2004!!") Its a worse situation to be in when you are ignorant of things happening around you. And I dont want to be in that place a lot many times. So if you can throw some light on that, I would be thankful.

6 Comments:

Blogger maddy said...

i guess you don't have to worry if you are reading a book a bit too late. anyone who reads a lot of books would like to show off as to how late u are in reading that book ( i do it many a time :) ). and it's good if you don't have any expert opinion before reading a book, 'cause that would bias you.

February 16, 2006 2:47 AM  
Blogger Chaosrules said...

@maddy: You are right dude, it doesn't matter when you read a book, what matters is what you read and interpret.

At times, an expert opinion does help in selecting a book(especially if you are buying a book with your own card ;) ).

@Kasri: Hey, i read this 3 months back:))
LOL, check this out (a little bit of advertisement for myself ;) ):
http://chaosrules.blogspot.com/2005/11/five-point-someone.html

I used to ask this question to anyone who had read this book, its your turn to answer now! Who are the real-life characters that come to your mind, after reading this book? You can email me your response !

February 20, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

@Maddy: What I wanted to be aware was the of existence of a book.I may read it late, thats fine, but I should know that there is something which I can read. With respect to opinion about a book, yes, you should read and get your own opinion. You may not agree with your friends/colleagues/others always!

@Chaos: What a question! Hmmm, I guess I am more of Hari with respect to this quality: Never used to have any opinion of mine.What he says,I would accept. What she says,I would accept. There is no 'Me' here. You can easily cajole me to do anything! Just like Hari, who follows blindly what Ryan says. He doesnt have his own say in anything.

No other person comes to my mind right now who resembles Alok,Ryan or Hari. If I get someone, would let you know.

February 21, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Keep checking out the New York Times- they have a list of best sellers all the time.

As for Indian books, Penguin India is the best place. You'll be amazed at the number of Indian authors that get published every month and by Penguin alone! Then there is Rupa. Let me know what exactly you are looking at.

Btw-I didn't like 5 point someone!

Also, it really doesnt matter when you read. What you read is all that does.

February 22, 2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

@Poornima: Merci Mademoiselle, for your information.

Ha, someone has to dislike 'Five Point Someone'. Why is that so with you?

February 23, 2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Chaosrules said...

Best way to know about books is to actually walk into a book store !! Believe me, none of the online stores give you the "A-ha" feeling that one feels while walking down the book store. Just visit your local book store and browse through your favourite sections,you will also come across some unknown authors with good works.

March 01, 2006 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home