Thursday, March 24, 2005

Things at Work: Part 1-Voice It Out Loud

When you are unhappy about any facility @ work, no harm in voicing your opinion against it, for its the place where you work and it becomes your duty as well to make sure everything is fine. Please dont get me wrong and think what kind of person is he,writing all these about his company. Mine is a great place to work: Very nice people I have met here. But there are some things that am sure is bad in every other company. Just that I have written about it and others dont, or others wish they dont have to. And am pretty sure manager or his manager isnt reading this, even if he is he wont bother! He would agree to whatever I am saying.

Like the last facility we were in, the lifts were too bad. There would be mails floating now and then: "Lifts: Do they really lift?". Complaints against how the lifts are being used by the construction workers for carrying bricks,stones and cement and what not. Likewise, the food @ work. Whenever we have a bash like stuff and when there are programs like small skit which we employees do, we never forget about the lunch thats served. Not that we are complaining just like that, we are complaining bcos something is too bad and its too bad for everyone uniform across the company.

Here is how it went in one of those skits. We are trying to interview a candidate for our company. The interview is like almost over.Almost like every other interview at the end:

Interviewer: So, do you have any questions you want to ask us?
Candidate: Sir, is there any medical test I have to take and show the results to the company?

Interviewer: No, no specific medical test requiered.But yes, you would be asked to just take our pantry lunch for one day. And thats it.Thats the medical test for you
Candidate: Ok, Sir, Thank you.

Now, when this part was done, we were clapping and laughing almost endlessly for we know how true it was.The effect of all these, you might ask? Well, now in our new facility now the HR has mailed us asking us to suggest the caterers which we found good: be it from some other company, or some party where we have attended. The news that we are going to get a new caterer is such a happy news to most of us here for sure.

Likewise, the other day myself and my team mate went to the Pantry for morning tea and usual chit chat. I found "Hot Chocolate" written besides one of the buttons. I was too tempted to have a cup of it. Wow! what a change from the usual tea and lemon tea. I pressed it with lots of enthusiasm only to find the cup filled with something I dont know how to describe. It was 15% chocolate powder and 85% hot water, I should say! I got irriated and commented to my team mate in a real loud voice "Hey, look at this. They say its Hot Chocolate and look at this. The sticker should have read Hot Water. It would have been of use to sick people atleast". My team mate started smiling and looked at the cup I had in my hand and he said, "Yeah Man, it looks so pathetic. I am sure it tastes very bad". "Real bad. Horrible", I said.

Then I realised and noticed that while we were talking guys from the Facility department were right there in a table at the back having their morning tea as well. I felt sorta odd standing there. I was wondering what to do now!? I looked at my team mate and both of us silently left the Pantry. Now, whats the effect of all these, you might ask again? Well, that day when I went for my evening tea this time, and what do I find? The sticker that read "Hot Chocolate" is missing from the Vending m/c and its missing till today. Wow, my voicing the opinion had some effect!

With that I end Part 1 of the series. Three day weekend. Have a nice time. My team mate just told me that its Holi this Saturday and we are busy making our Holi plans.Catch you on Monday.


1 Comments:

Blogger Woodworm said...

Dude,

Seems to work for you... so just a tip...

The next time you see your HR manager around start talking abt ur pay ;D

March 28, 2005 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home