Monday, March 28, 2005

riot, a novel

Amazing, Wonderful, Simply Superb. I would run short of words if I had to describe this novel(The truth is I dont know those words, ha ha ha. More on Truth later in the post).If you havent read this novel yet, please get your copy today and read it. That would be my recommendation. I liked everything about the novel, starting from the way the novel has been presented: in a different style which I havent seen in any other novel I have read so far.

Shashi Tharoor has handled one of the most sensitive issues of post-independence India so well. The book gave me so many facts about India,Hinduism and the issue based on which the novel is written. And the beauty about the novel is the climax. Even thats different.Nope. I am not gonna say whats special and different about the climax, of course, for the sake of those who havent read it.

But, I would like to quote a few lines from the novel, though.First thing I would like to quote it solely for Subs and no one else.It remembered me of something between us and thought Subs might like it. But, hey am not accepting my defeat yet :) It just re-emphasises the explanation that I gave you that day.Yeah, laugh at me still, if you like to. I love that.

- I know you love me. I just don't know how much.
- I love you! Isn't that enough? I don't think it's possible to love anyone more than I love you.
- Those are just words. Words are just words until you act on them.
- I am acting on them. I'm with you, aren't I?
- Yes, but that's for now. You'll be gone in an hour, more or less. Back to your wife, your daughter.To a home you don't share with me.

('Lakshman and Priscilla', Page 214 of riot)

Second thing I would like to quote is for all of you. This is a very interesting story which Shashi tells and why am I stressing on this would be clear to those who have read the novel. For others, read it and then you might be able to appreciate this story better.

"Truth is elusive, subtle, many-sided. You know, Priscilla, there's an old Hindu story about Truth. It seems a brash young warrior sought the hand of a beautiful princess. Her father, the king, thought he was a bit too cocksure and callow.He decreed that the warrior could marry the princess after he had found Truth. So the warrior set out into the world ona quest for Truth. He went to temples and monasteries, to mountaintops where sages meditated, to remote forests where ascetics scourged themselves, but nowhere he could find Truth. Despairing one day and seeking shelter from a thunderstorm,he took refuge in a musty cave. There was an old crone there, a hag with matted hair and warts on her face, the skin hanging loose from her bony limbs, her teeth yellow and rotting, her breath malodorous. But as he spoke to her, with each question she answered, he realized he had come to the end of his journey: she was Truth. They spoke all night, and when the storm cleared, the warrior told her that he had fulfilled his quest.'Now I have found Truth', he said, 'what shall I tell them at the palace about you? The wizened old creature smiled.'Tell them,' she said,'tell them that I am young and beautiful'."

('from Lakshman's journal', Page 137 of riot)

3 Comments:

Blogger Woodworm said...

To be frank, I found the book disturbing and repulsive at times... But I can't still think - exactly why. To this day, I don't know if I liked the book or not :)

March 28, 2005 4:26 AM  
Blogger HP said...

Jike, I don't know if it is to do with me - but I got a life of pi feeling with this book as well. I think it was a tragic love story more than an insight into riot - it did not fit my image of Shashi Tharoor, the Hindu columnist or the bigshot at the UN.

March 28, 2005 4:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Will read this book...

I've read Shashi Tharoor's "The Great Indian Novel". Fabulous book. Now that you have read this guy and like his style of writing...and most importantly-what he writes... try that one too...

March 28, 2005 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home