Monday, March 07, 2005

First Rushdie Experience

It has taken me a real long time to finish my first Rushdie book(started right after Pi). RL started asking what is that I am doing with it for such a long time!? To be honest: I didnt like the book that much. It was so boring. Nothing great about the story as well. Not captivating at all... "If you dont like it, then why dont you throw it off and take another?". This was Ponp. I dont know. I didnt wanna leave it half way somehow. The Moors Last Sigh started off in a place very familiar to me (just as Pi started in Pondicherry): Mattancheri, the Synagogoe, Cochin Port.... Hmmm. The story of da Gama - Zogoiby family which travels from Cochin - Bombay and finally ending in Spain. I didnt understand what Rushdie wanted to say through the climax. One thing: everybody dies in the novel someway or other. Pam actually wanted me to start off with Midnight's Children, RL with The Ground Beneath Her Feet, but these two are apparently missing from RL's mini-library at RSAS HQ: a library to which I have free unlimited access and to most others access is denied and books given only after much consideration/threats/bribe/stealing.

I have been reading like 10 pages per day and that too yours truly had been going home pretty late these days in a 75% sleepy condition that I doze off right after 2 or 3 pages. May be thats what had caused the boredom and dislike. But one thing: I found Rushdie sahib's English damn good. If his vocabulary is rated on a scale of 10 at 9 say, mine would be 2 maximum. Am i gonna read Midnight's Children and The Ground Beneath Her Feet ? Definitely yes. May be I would like them.. Let you know once thats done.

5 Comments:

Blogger Woodworm said...

Pam has a copy of The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Check it out...

March 07, 2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Midnight's children is a must read... to know Rushdie... to love Rushdie. And maybe after reading it you will discover what I did- that it isn’t a big surprise that the book won the much coveted "Booker of Bookers"... though I for one would say awards don’t necessarily reflect a good book- this one did full justice- to the actual meaning of an award and that of a good book.

March 08, 2005 12:54 AM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

Sure Poornima. Would read it and let you know how I felt about the book. Cool. Just as I finished my next post, I read this comment of yours and your comment reflect what I had written over there. Its all happening for me today!

March 08, 2005 2:04 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Know what....? I feel jealous... of you... and your anonymity....I've used that word a lot today... let me change it. I am jealous of your... namelessness.

March 08, 2005 2:30 AM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

Wow! Nice to see someone feeling jealous of me! This is a new, never before happened feeling for me. And am loving it. Cooooooooooooool

March 08, 2005 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home