Thursday, May 04, 2006

Smile, a(n) (n)ever lasting smile

Let's face it. When it comes to making first contacts, we suck, suck big time.Unless its someone you know, like your friend or your neighbour, why I should I even bother to talk to someone, unless he/she is introduced by someone whom both of us know. Get what am saying?

I have a code submission today, my boss is behind my ass. I fought with my wife today yet again, day by day,she's turning out to be a monster whom I can't tolerate. Kids, they are a big pain man, you know. Always whining,complaining and crying.Boss,give me a break! Gold prices are shooting to a rockety space. LPG and fuel prices are going to get increased once again, God, what's happening to this country!?. Would India win today's cricket match and would Mr.X score a century today so that his batting average increases by 0.1 and beats Mr.Y's avearge? I have so many things to fret about and you want me to ask my neighbour in the bus whether he is doing fine or not!?


The English teacher used to say: "It's sad to note that we follow so many unwanted things from the west but not good things like how to greet people in public, how to behave in a public place when we meet total strangers.".She used to say that that's what makes a good impression of you, the first impression. People can gauge to a certain extent,how well mannered, you are. Yeah, Mam, we take only the things which suit us and we ignore the rest.

Like the other day, I was in this ATM with my relative(The ATM was over-packed of course.What do you expect on a weekend, huh? And it's an unwritten rule that if you have two vending machines, one would be not working or out of cash. On that day though, both were working.Surprising!).Anyway, there was this guy who wanted a lot of money and the denominations available were only 100's on that machine towards the left. I wanted a huge amount as well and this security guard said that the machine on the left had 1000's. So we were standing in the queue and the guy I talked about earlier, he started taking a lot of time. Obviously people behind were getting restless. I turned around and there was this girl(yeah, she was beautiful, but that doesn't matter here) and she smiled at me. What that smile meant, I knew and she knew that I understood what her smile meant: What a bad luck that we got stuck behind this man who's spending ages before the machine. Those words were not exchanged between us, but that little smile, that suggested it all. Immediately, my relative nudges me from the side and asks me: "Do you know that girl?". I shrug off my shoulders and say, "No, I don't". Then my relative asks me: "Then, why is she smiling at you?".

I didn't bother to explain the reason. That smile was enough for me to start a small conversation with her and we talked and talked(We had our man before the machine still !!!). By the way, he turned out to be good guy, huh. Not only he blasted the security for misleading us regarding the denominations, he also apologised to everyone in the queue for making us wait.How many times do we see someone do that? I want my money, I would take whatever time I want, why do I have to apologise to someone waiting because of me. Thats what we get most of the times. How does that apology matter, one might ask. You still waited for a long time, isn't it?. Well, apart from the fact that I got a chance to talk to a beautiful girl, it leaves us with a good impression on him isn't it? We get to know that you understand that we had a problem because of you and when you acknowledge the fact, we might even forget what we went through because of you and there is peace and there is amicability.

Small things you do,small faults of yours which you acknowledge, a smile, a sorry is what goes a long way to solve and even prevent big issues. And when would people understand that? I am not going to bet on that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chaosrules said...

I exactly understand what you meant in that first para! Often, we people need some prior introduction before we even say hi. Many of us are very hesitant to flash a smile (or even return it for courtesy). I asked my friend, what would he do if some stranger smiles at him, he replied " I would first check whether my fly is down macha! "
:)

May 04, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

@Chaos:
Good one!

May 31, 2006 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home