Saturday, June 11, 2005

Whats up 'dude'?

I dont know why, but I don't seem to like this word - dude. Everytime, I hear something like:
"Duuuuuuuuuude, how are you doing?"
"Dude, whats up?"
"Dude, lets go for lunch"

I feel little irritated. I seem to be ok with maams, machi, machchan,(Mera Des Mahaan) but a big NO to dude. Apart, from being a slang, for a guy, fellow, what else does this four letter word, mean? Merriam gave me these answers

Dude : refers to a person who is a dandy - that is a person who takes excessive care for his dress, look and appearance.

Dude: refers to the person who is a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range; especially : an Easterner in the West - that means a person who feels out of his place.

So, my aversion for the word, I can supplement with above definitions. But, yeah, I thought a little bit more about this word. If dude is a slang, 'dud' is also a slang and what does dud mean?

Dud: A person who is a failure, ineffectual.

So, dude is a person who is, a dud from the east, I can say, because the definition of dude, applies mainly to easterners in the west. So, dont be surprised, if you get a crossword clue someday which says:

Across:
8: Fellow: Useless one from the Oriental(4).

You now know what is the answer to that clue. So next time when you are in a cross continental conference call and its a monday evening for you and monday morning there and if somene asks you, "Dude, how was your weekend?", one of the possible ways you can interpret that question is : "Hey, useless fellow,(I know you would not have done anything good or achieved anything great), how the hell did you spend your weekend?"

No wonder, I dont like this word...

3 Comments:

Blogger Woodworm said...

Youve been tagged :)

June 18, 2005 3:45 PM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

Ok. I would do that post post-july 25, for sure.

June 20, 2005 3:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hey Zy, how've you been? Its been ages since I read you...

I was shocked/surprised to see a 'strange connection' on your blog! Why strange?

I wont call you 'dude'. If there is anything more irritating it is, 'dudette'! Does it even exist!? Gah!

June 21, 2005 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home